- Joey "The Jaws" Chestnut wins with 2 gallons eaten in six minutes.
- The emcee of the occasion called ahead of time that the world record would be broken.
- Alexandria's Sonya Thomas (center) looks like this is just another day. She came in fourth place, having eaten 1.25 gallons of Ben's chili.
- No one looked like they were hurting more than the young guy with the muscles.
- The pain.
- Tim "Eater X" Janus and the Notorious B.O.B. tied the existing world record of chili eating (and one another) by each eating 1.5 gallons of chili.
This weekend marked the return of the Taste of DC to Pennsylvania Avenue, as represented by a mass of Occupy DC protesters spread out across Freedom Plaza, a middling selection of tastings and a Major League World Chili Eating Championship presented by Ben's Chili Bowl. Renowned eater Joey Chestnut easily broke the world record of chili consumption by downing two gallons in six minutes. There were painful expressions, lots of napkins used post-competition and bad jokes told by the emcee — who claimed the competitive eaters would be heading to the White House next to eat all of Michelle Obama's kitchen garden "down to the last lonely radish." For sufficient gross-outs, please see the gallery above.
· Previous Ben's Chili Bowl Coverage [-EDC-]