Welcome to the Plywood Report, where we fill you in on what's coming up in food. See anything happening in your neighborhood? Let us know.
1) Penn Quarter: Wagamama has finally updated its signage to read that it plans to open in "early 2012," according to a Facebook group called Bring Wagamama To DC! [PLYWOOD]
2) Penn Quarter: The Washington Business Journal says that the District of Pi Pizzeria is finally going to open in September, about a year after the St. Louis-based restaurant announced it was coming to DC. And the restaurant has indeed been on a hiring spree. If you can't wait a month, the pizzeria's food truck has been out on the road for months now. [PLYWOOD]
3) Columbia Heights: New Columbia Heights spots signage in the DCUSA food court complex for Panera Bread, which is scheduled to open up next to Panda Express in October. [PLYWOOD]
4) Petworth: Prince of Petworth reports that there is now a building permit up at Billy Simpson's, a new project from the guys behind Marvin and other local watering holes. They've also apparently applied for a liquor license. [PLYWOOD]
5) Mt. Vernon Square: PoP also spots new signage for Ryse in the City Vista building. Ryse is a new concept from Ray's the Steaks owner Michael Landrum that'll be selling coffee, sandwiches and more. [PLYWOOD]
District of Pi [Facebook]