Tom Sietsema had everyone thinking, "Mmm...donuts" Friday when he reported that Astro Dougnuts & Fried Chicken would be opening next year. It's the third restaurant in the DC area that has announced plans to combine the two fried favorites. Eater got a few additional details about the restaurant.
1) There's still no official address for the restaurant yet, but a spokeswoman says it will be near Metro Center downtown. Because of the location's proximity to nearby offices, Astro plans to offer catering services when it opens.
2) Partners Elliot Spaisman and Jeff Halpern are still finalizing who the provider will be, but they plan to serve artisan roast coffee at the location.
3) The owners spent three years raising money to get the restaurant off the ground. Not only were Spaisman and Halpern childhood friends, but Spaisman can actually say he played hockey with the former Caps player when they were growing up in Montgomery County. The reward the boys asked for after games? Donuts.
4) The partners, along with chef Jason Gehring, consulted with John Fulchino and Ann Cashion, to get advice on the product. Valerie Hill, also of Johnny's Half Shell, helped with recipe development in the project's early stages.
5) Among the planned donut flavors: black-and-white cookie, peanut butter and jelly.
· Fried Chicken, Donuts and an Ex Caps Player At Astro [-EDC-]
· All Previous Donut Coverage [-EDC-]