Ink Spotted - Andrew Markert
- "Before this piece, I’d only sat for an hour or so. This was epic by comparison."
- Close-up on the butcher scene.
- "When I got my sous chef job at Vermilion when it opened, I told the owner I was going to get the rating on my arms when we first got reviewed. When the Washington Post gave us two and a half stars, I got the tattoo."
- "It’s a memorial to my godparents. One was a Dante scholar and one was a Shakespeare scholar, so the epitaphs are 'Goodnight sweet prince' and 'And thou.'"
- "These are empty, because I’m waiting for my first review as an executive chef."
- "I was born in Baltimore, so I got the state bird."
- "It’s my favorite ingredient. You can pull such a depth of flavor out of it. Most people think of it with desserts, but it has such versatility in savory dishes."