As reported last week, Bizarre Foods host Andrew Zimmern was in DC this past weekend shooting for an upcoming episode, with planned stops at Common Good Soup Kitchen, Mr. P's, Florida Avenue Grill and La Chiquita — though it seems as though Mr. P's was not so cooperative. Light stalking of Zimmern's Twitter feed reveals all that and a whole lot more — quality time with José Andrés, cooking with Scott Drewno at The Source, and a whole lot of instagrammed food porn:
1) Because you can't visit DC without visiting José Andrés, Zimmern went to America Eats Tavern and Jaleo, where there is photographic evidence of one crazy huge paella pan, plus spherified olives and more. At America Eats, Zimmern looked at some of Andrés' old cookbooks, tried the PBJ and foie sandwich, broiled oysters and more.
2) Zimmern visited Oyamel too on his José Andrés Penn Quarter crawl: "America Eats & Jaleo superb, but 15 minute break at Oyamel for real tortilla and some sound advice from @chefjoseandres was days highlight"
3) Zimmern informed Marcus Samuelsson that he was "with largest Ethiopian Community in America. Wish u were here to share w me." He later explained he was at an "early morning service" — unclear whether he also visited one of DC's great Ethiopian restaurants.
4) The Bizarre Foods host confirmed what most of DC already knows, which is that The Source is excellent: "Scott Drewno is really doing some cool stuff at The Source in DC... Check it out. Great chef, great guy.... And Puck/Hefter mentored..." Zimmern apparently had an "insane" dinner at the Wolfgang Puck restaurant and tweeted more food porn of hanging ducks, squid ink tofu and dumplings galore.
5) Apparently Brentwood rib joint Mr. P's refused to allow Bizarre Foods to shoot. Quote Zimmern: "Thousands of locations, only been told "no" a few times. Why Mr P? Why?"
6) As planned, though, Zimmern did visit the Florida Avenue Grill for breakfast, sought inspiration from the Common Good City Farm, and checked out some pupusa-making at Takoma Park's La Chiquita.
7) Perhaps Zimmern was staying at The W? Here he tweets some food porn of their fortune cookies.
8) Also it seems that Zimmern went snakehead fishing with Baltimore chef Chad Wells and John Rorapaugh, director of sustainability at Profish.
UPDATE: You guys, Zimmern is STILL HERE! Stay tuned for more as he continues to tweet his way around DC. Today appears to be Food Truck Day.
· All Previous Andrew Zimmern Coverage [-EDC-]
· All Previous Twitter Coverage [-EDC-]