One of Eater's most anticipated fall openings, the new 14th Street location of Matchbox inches toward its projected opening and letting a few new details slip through. While longtime fans of the pizzeria (and its exceedingly popular sliders) will obviously recognize the same old Matchbox from Chinatown, Capitol Hill and Rockville, here are a few things to know about the new location that will differentiate it from its sister locations.
1) This location will have three levels — "with each level overlooking the previous one" — plus patio seating with a fire pit located on the T Street side.
2) There will be a permanent takeout station near the back of the restaurant that will have its own separate entrance.
3) In addition to two and four tops, this Matchbox will have some communal tables, apparently to "cater to the 14th Street audience."
4) Matchbox is trying to incorporate elements from the building's history — as a bowling alley, jazz club, automobile showroom and the Arena Stage — in its design.
5) The space is still under construction, but Matchbox team is still aiming for a late-October or early November opening.
· Matchbox [Official Site]
· All Previous Matchbox Coverage [-EDC-]