So it happened. The government shut down last night after Congress was unable to come to an agreement on a funding bill. Several restaurants and bars are offering specials today as a result, some geared towards furloughed employees, and others just catering to those frustrated with their representatives. Here's where to find them; Eater will update the list as more deals come to light.
· Granville Moore's is offering $1 Stellas until the shutdown is over. The deal starts today at 2 p.m., along with food specials.
· Smucker Farms is offering 10 percent off purchases to government employees during the shutdown.
· Z-Burger's free burger deal has officially gone into effect.
· Trummer's on Main is offering half off on all wines by the glass, beer and cocktails during happy hour (5-7 p.m.) for government workers during the shutdown. Deal not valid on Saturdays, so hopefully all of this straightens out before then.
· All patrons at Posto can get a $10 ravioli special or a $5 glass of wine during the shutdown. Update: The restaurant will offer the deal in the bar area only.
· Menchie's Frozen Yogurt is giving government workers 20 percent off orders of yogurt.
· Taylor Gourmet is offering a 10 percent discount to furloughed workers on any hoagie or salad (free cookie, too).
· Carmine's is offering the restaurant's private rooms free of charge to the leaders of Congress and President Obama if they need to hammer out an agreement over spaghetti. They've also got an Olive Branch cocktail at the bar for $12.
· Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken will offer a free doughnut with a purchase to federal employees.
· Urbana's Happy Hour will be extended by one hour for every day the government is shut down, which means it could end up being offered all night.
· Sprinkles Cupcakes is offering free cupcakes to government employees today with a valid ID.
· Del Campo offers happy hour to anyone with a government ID at the bar all night.
· No details yet, but Jose Andres Tweets, "A free sandwich on me, people furloughed, btwn 3-5 pm, everyday until it's over." Update: Looks like there are sandwich deals at Jaleo, Oyamel and Zaytinya.
· Sticky Rice is offering 1/2 price Sticky Rice rolls and 1/2 price American beers.
· Happy Hour all day at DC Coast, Acadiana and all the PassionFood restaurants.
· Kangaroo Boxing Club is offering $3 Screwdrivers, starting at noon. Government employees get the first one free.
· Ten percent off soups and salads at Soupergirl for government employees.
· Free bruschetta at Ovvio Osteria today for government employees.
· The Coupe has extended happy hour for all, including 50 cent deals from 2-8 p.m.
· Ten percent off food and drinks for those with a government ID at Circle Bistro.
· Hill Country Barbecue is offering happy hour specials all day to those with a government ID, including $3 PBRs, $20 margarita pitchers and more.
· The Daily Dish in Silver Spring is offering free cups of coffee to government workers — and Congress members pay double.
· Bayou Bakery is offering free beignets to government workers with the purchase of a coffee.
· BLT Steak is offering a "raw deal" discount on oysters - $1 for anyone with a government ID.
· Vinoteca is extending happy hour until 9 p.m. for government employees.
· Art & Soul is continuing its shut down happy hour from 4-8 p.m. today. Second drink is on the house for those with a government ID.
· The Brixton plans to open its roof at 2 p.m. with drink specials.
· The Jefferson is offering $2 "furlough fries" all day to anyone.
· Brasserie Beck is offering a $20 lunch special and a $2 "Shot Down" drink (with bitters, naturally) today.
· Sonoma is giving out $2 DC Brau Pints and 1/2 off small plates to government workers.
· La Tasca is pricing sangria pitchers at $20 all day until the government reopens.
· Mockingbird Hill is offering a free glass of sherry to government workers during the shutdown.
· Acre 121 has a $10 burger, barbecue and beer special for government workers today.
· Nando's Peri-Peri is offering a free butterflied chicken breast to all government employees affected by the shutdown.
· Sister bars Teddy & the Bully Bar and Lincoln each have drink specials. Lincoln is offering the Fillibuster Punch with kumquat-infused cachaca, spiced rum and roibos tea ($42, serves 4-6). At Teddy's, the Shutdown Cider is spiked with pisco and five spice powder ($11).
· It's Happy Hour prices all day at Kramerbooks' cafe — but members of Congress pay double. Bar area only.
· Range is offering a free cheese pizza for anyone with a government ID.
· Osteria Marzano is offering several shutdown specials during happy hour for government employees, including 50 percent off pizzas, $3 draft beers and $4 house liquors.
· MXDC is offering $6 margaritas and $6 taco platters during the shutdown.
· The DNV rooftop will have happy hour specials all night during the shutdown on weekdays.
· Thomas Foolery is extending its Angry Hour promotion ($1 off drinks IF you order in an angry voice) to 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. during the shutdown.
· Mr. Yogato is offering 25 percent off all yogurt purchases from 12-7.
· Cork Market is offering 10 percent off to those with government IDs, while Cork Wine Bar is offering happy hour pricing on wine all night.
· Family Meal has free pot pie fritters available during the shutdown.
· Asia Nine is giving federal employees 10 percent off their checks during the shutdown.
· Cashion's Eat Place will offer happy hour pricing on wines, beers and appetizers to government employees during every day of the shutdown.
· Hollywood East Cafe is offering 15 percent off checks for those with a government ID.
· Free brewery tours for government employees at Flying Dog in Frederick.
· Free pulled pork sandwiches for government employees at Pork Barrel BBQ, but Congressmen are excluded.
· Buy a Hamburger Deluxe at P.J. Clarke's and get a free beer with government ID.
· A government ID gets you 40 percent off menu items and $3 beer at Piola.
· GBD is extending happy hour until 8 p.m. with fun beer pricing. $4 Avery Duguana Imperial IPA for $3 for those feeling "hoppy" about the shutdown, for instance.
· Mmm, Shutdown Nachos. Mango Mike's is offering a free order of nachos or quesadillas to furloughed employees.
· Clyde's of Georgetown is offering several happy hour discounts during the shutdown, while the Chevy Chase location is giving government workers 20 percent off their check (not including any lobster specials ordered).