Nothing against the vodka in a Bloody Mary, or the bubbles topping the O.J. in a Mimosa, but sometimes the clear choice for the base in a morning libation doesn't need to be so, um, clear. Head to these spots, where dark rum, Bourbon and Brandy are popping up in potent eye-openers. All are available during brunch, perfect for a morning after pick-me-up.
· The 172 Degree Cocktail ($13) at Society Fair combines Thibault-Janisson VA Fizz with Licor 43, Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Tahitian vanilla, lemon peels and Bittermans Tiki Bitters.
· Cuba Libre offers the Bermuda Café ($8), with Gosling's Black Seal Rum, El Dorado Rum Cream and brewed Cuban Coffee.
· Jaleo's Picon Punch ($9) mixes Amer Picon, Brandy, house-made grenadine and soda.
· Spiced Coco ($12) at The Hamilton combines Smooth Ambler Rye, Varnelli Caffè Moka Liqueur, Hot Mama Cinnamon Chipotle Whiskey and spiced coco sugar.
· BourBerry ($13) at Brasserie Beck has Belle Meade Sour Mash Bourbon, blackberries, Cedilla Açai Liqueur and lemon.
· Masa 14's Mojito Especial ($11) uses Patron Pyrat Rum, brown sugar, muddled lime and fresh mint.
· EatBar's The Commonwealth ($10) is made with Bowman Brothers Bourbon, Lost Rhino Pilsner and lemon.
· The traditional New Orleans' sip Brandy Milk Punch ($10) at Acadiana mixes E & J Brandy, cream, vanilla extract and nutmeg.
· The Smoked Old Fashioned ($9) at Evening Star Café stirs house smoked Maker's Mark and maple syrup.
· All Cocktail Week 2013 Coverage [-EDC-]