Until now, grilled cheese addicts have subsisted largely on rumblings about GCDC, coming to 1730 Pennsylvania Ave. NW in early February. Courtesy of a press release, here are five things to know about the new enterprise, particularly for those who want a sandwich that reaches beyond white bread and Kraft singles.
· The owners are a father-son team, Bruce and Steven Klores (it's their first restaurant), and New York's Sophie Slesinger of Saxelby Cheesemongers will be handling the cheese side of the operation.
· Here are some items to expect that are not grilled cheese sandwiches: charcuterie boards, local wines and beers, loaded tater tots, soups and salads. Some nostalgic beverages to look forward to include homemade chocolate mil and egg creams.
· The selection of grilled cheese options will rotate consistently. Some examples might be a French Onion Soup in a sandwich, a lobster and gouda grilled cheese, or a turkey pesto sandwich with mozzarella.
· Spanish sandwich the Montadito will also get an interpretation at GCDC, stuffed with manchego. Look out, expanding chain 100 Montaditos?
· Where there is grilled cheese, there is tomato soup. GCDC's version will be dairy-free and feature San Marzano tomatoes.
[Photo: A sandwich from GCDC]