Eater recently asked readers to zero in on the city's underrated burgers: those burgers that don't get the attention or claim that they deserve. Boy, did everyone have an opinion, and courtesy of the tipline and comments section, here's an Underrated Burgers Checklist to help burger fans guide themselves through the city's lesser-known burger destinations. For this checklist of 35 restaurants, we've shied away from the well-known burger joints, though some readers believe such places as Burger 7, Z-Burger, Good Stuff Eatery and Bobby's Burger Palace deserve additional publicity. Share how many of these burgers you've tried in the comments section.
1.The Southwest Burger at Ted's Bulletin
2. Eater is skeptical about using the term here, but some readers still call Palena's Burger "underrated"
3. A Passenger burger with bacon
4. Marvin's burger
5. Golf course burgers: Sample cheap offerings at the Langston or Hains Point courses.
6. Scion's burger, with smoked gouda and peach ketchup.
7. 18th Amendment's burger
8. New to the scene, but already drawing raves: Red Apron's burger
9. Food truck Dorothy Moon's burger has free bacon and cheese
10. Sweetwater Tavern's burger, served on their homemade buns
11. Vinoteca's customizable burgers, served on the patio
12. The Big Pimpin' at Thunder Burger Bar
13. The Terlingua Red chili burger at Hard Times Cafe
14. The new burger at 1905
15. Barbecue joint Standard's burger
16. Dino's burger, served at the bar
17. Ris's burger with onion jam
18. Black Squirrel, which incorporates duck fat into its burger
19. A chili burger from Clyde's
20. A burger from dive bar Quarry House
21. A no-frills burger from DC9
22. The lamb burger from Food, Wine & Co.
23. Union Street Public House's classic burger
24. A burger from the bar at 2941
25. Cashion's Eat Place, which has a particularly prized bun
26. A Stoney's burger, topped with egg and swiss
27. Rustico's burger, featuring dry-aged cheddar
28. A patty melt from the Tune Inn
29. A diner burger from Tastee Diner
30. A burger from Buck's Fishing and Camping, made with Angus beef
31. A Sonoma burger, which rivals neighboring Good Stuff Eatery
32. Twist Georgetown's burger
33. A $4 burger from Whole Foods Foggy Bottom with garlic herb mayo
34. The "Dive Burger," a double burger at Black Jack
35. The old school burger from M&S Grill