Welcome to the Plywood Report, where we fill you in on what's coming up in food. See anything happening in your neighborhood? Send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Alexandria: Signage shows that the former Aqua Viva restaurant will be revamped as Flat Iron, according to this thread on Don Rockwell. The restaurant is "coming soon," from owner Michael Cordero — looks like he told the Alexandria Times that a fall opening was feasible. [PLYWOOD]
2) Merrifield: Construction has begun on the anticipated Gypsy Soul, the anticipated restaurant from R.J. Cooper (a reader sent in a photo of construction to the tipline). It's opening at Mosaic District near MediterraFish Market and Red Apron. [PLYWOOD]
3) Glover Park: An Einstein Bagels outpost is going to open where a Vespa dealership used to be at 2233 Wisconsin Ave, NW, according to PoPville. [PLYWOOD]
4) Alexandria: Approvals are moving along for a Middle Eastern restaurant and hookah lounge to open in Old Town, according to Patch. No name yet for the restaurant, which would seat 80 people. [PRE-PLYWOOD]
6) Brightwood: Simple Bar and Grill will open at 5828 Georgia Avenue, NW, according to PoPville. The owner is Wilfredo Guzman, who is looking to get the place open in about a month. [PLYWOOD]
[Photo: Naeem Ashraf/Tipline]