El Rey, the Mexican beer garden from the Hilton brothers, has officially set January 10 as its opening day. Here are five things to remember about the project, long in development.
· The 3,100 square foot space was built almost entirely of shipping containers.
· The restaurant will have a big back patio with a retractable roof. Diners will also be able to get takeout from a window facing U Street.
· On the menu: tacos, tequilas and Mexican and South American beers.
· Jorge Pimentel is the executive chef. He was behind the former Sabor'a Street food truck.
· The restaurant will be open until 2 a.m. on weekdays and 3 a.m. on weekends for drinks, dinner and cocktails. Lunch will follow in the spring.
· All Previous El Rey Coverage [-EDC-]