Bob Kinkead's Ancora restaurant may be closed for renovations, but his upcoming Campono restaurant is almost here. The restaurant is planning to open its doors Friday at the Watergate Complex. Here's what to know:
· Campono will lean casual Italian, and will be a self-serve restaurant with Neapolitan pizzas, subs and pastries.
· The restaurant will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. It's in the former Cup'a Cup'a space, and as a result, there will be pastries, coffee and espresso drinks in addition to the Italian food.
· The name comes from a village in Italy where some of the chef's family lives. Expect murals on the walls, a big wood-fired oven on display and touches of granite, oak and steel in the design.
· About that oven: it reaches 800 degrees and will churn out pizza by the slice, as well as by the pie. They'll have gluten-free pies and whole wheat dough available.
· Here are a couple of the early menu items: a pizza with tomato sauce, garlic, capers, anchovy, hot chilies, Neapolitan olives, mozzarella and oregano; a Friarelli and cheese hot sub with Friarelli and Hungarian peppers, four cheeses, onion and avocado; and a fig and Gorgonzola breakfast pizza with roasted red onion, fig conserva, walnuts, Gorgonzola dolce, prosciutto and saba.
· Campono [Official Site]
· All Previous Campono Coverage [-EDC-]