September 16, 2016
2) BALLSTON: Nando's Peri-Peri brings a brand-new location to Arlington Saturday. The spicy chicken chain is having Washington Capitals on hand for opening day, when proceeds will be donated to charity. Status: Opening this weekend. 4401 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, Va.; website.
3) PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY: It's opening weekend for Water's Edge Brewery. The Lake Ridge brewery will boast beer varieties like a white IPA, English brown and wheat ale for its first offerings. Status: Grand opening this weekend. 12425 Dillingham Square, Lake Ridge, Va.; website.
4) NAVY YARD: Chix number three has arrived. It's opening day for the Navy Yard location of the Latin-influenced, fast-casual chicken restaurant. Co-founder Victoria Garcia tells Eater the newest location has a outdoor seating, plus 40 seats inside, and will serve beer and wine. They used reclaimed materials like the shipping crates that transported their restaurant equipment, as well as old barn and house doors, as part of the restaurant's design.
Expect the same menu as the original, featuring items like chicken, bowls, and salads. "We're trying to replicate our model," Garcia said. "I think this is a great next step, and we definitely hope the next five years bring a lot more Chix [locations]." Status: Opening today. 1210 Half Street SE; website.
September 14, 2016
1) ASHBURN: Copperwood Tavern #2 has arrived. The restaurant that started in Shirlington now finds a home for Moscow mules, roasted meats and seafood, and more. Expect the same farm-to-table sourcing as the original (including local spirits). Status: Opening today. 20465 Exchange Street, Ashburn, Va.; website.
2) ADAMS MORGAN: D.C. has another Ethiopian option in Quara. The menu shows a mix of traditional dishes and combinations, plus some outliers like spaghetti and baklava. Look for Ethiopian coffee there, too. Status: Certified open. 2406 18th St. NW; website.
September 13, 2016
1) ARLINGTON: A location of El Centro D.F., Richard Sandoval's D.C. Mexican restaurant, has opened at Reagan National Airport. The restaurant is serving up dishes like guacamole, barbecue chicken salad, churros, enchilada, nachos, and quesadillas. Find it at Terminal B/C, post-security. Status: Soft-opening mode; grand opening is Friday. Reagan National Airport, Arlington, Va.; website.
September 12, 2016
1) CAPITOL HILL: Bullfrog Bagels debuted their second location near Eastern Market over the weekend, with lines reaching out the door for bagels.
Bullfrog is the brainchild of former Tabard Inn general manager Jeremiah Cohen, who has quickly created a D.C. following craving his New York-style rounds and bialys.
Since opening doors on H Street two years ago, the bagel operation has supplied to places like Room 11, Open City, and Little Red Fox thanks to its factory in Northeast. (D.C. overall has been upping its bagel game lately.) Its signature bagels are hand rolled, boiled and baked daily on site. Sandwiches are substantial and include the TBA (tomato, bacon, avocado with Sriracha Mayo), The Natitude with hot pastrami or The Oriole with hot Baltimore brisket. While carbs are the centerpiece, a big focus is also on the meat and fish quality, which get cured, brined, smoked, braised, slow-roasted and/or seasoned. Status: Certified open. 317 7th St. SE, website