December 20, 2016
1) SHAW: Fast-casual Mediterranean eatery Cava Grill opens its newest Shaw location tonight at 5 p.m., offering free meals until 8 p.m. to celebrate its entrance into the neighborhood. Regular hours start Dec. 21 at 11 a.m. Status: Certified open at 5 p.m. 1921 8th St. NW; website.
December 19, 2016
1) GEORGETOWN: Peet's Coffee opens its modern retail shop today, packed with a living wall, brick accents, and LED lighting, with its first-ever "slow bar" that shows off coffee-making techniques. The brand has grown to 20 local stores since 2013, with plans for 30 by 2020. Status: Certified open. 3299 M St. NW; website.
2) SILVER SPRING: Hen Quarter debuts its second area location, serving up Southern cuisine, fried chicken galore, and a big bourbon list. More details here. Status: Opening today. 919 Ellsworth Dr., Silver Spring, Md.; website.
December 17, 2016
1) H STREET: The Wydown coffee bar on 14th Street added a new spot, opening over the weekend in The Apollo apartment building's lobby. The bakery and cafe component will be joined by booze in the next week. Status: Certified open. 600 H St. NE; website.
December 16, 2016
1) IVY CITY: Soccer-centric sports bar Dock FC opened in the historic Hecht Warehouse, serving up beers, cocktails, and tacos to fans watching games on large TVs and projectors. The concept comes from Mindful Restaurant Group, whose founder Ari Gejdenson is a former soccer star. Status: Certified open. 1400 Okie St. NE; website.
December 13, 2016
1) MOUNT VERNON TRIANGLE: It's opening day for Farmers & Distillers, from the team behind Founding Farmers and Farmers & Fishers. This is where they'll distill local vodka and amaro on site, with a George Washington-inspired menu to boot. More details here. Status: Opening today. 600 Massachussetts Ave. NW; website.
2) ROCKVILLE: Jade 11, a new Japanese restaurant, opens today. Find Japanese dishes like karaage and gyoza alongside sushi offerings. Status: Opening today. 785 D Rockville Pike, Rockville, Md.; no website yet.
3) VAN NESS: Fabio Trabocchi opens Sfoglina — more info here.
December 12, 2016
1) PETWORTH: New lounge and tea house Ten Tigers Parlour opened its doors over the weekend, with menu items like soup dumplings from chef Tim Ma. Take a tour of the space here. Status: Certified open. 3813 Georgia Ave. NW; website.
2) CLEVELAND PARK: Dolan Uyghur has opened its doors, serving hand-pulled noodles and traditional dishes like polo and lagman. Uyghur cuisine is a Northwest Chinese regional cuisine with Middle Eastern and other influences. Status: Certified open. 3518 Connecticut Ave. NW; website.
3) DUPONT CIRCLE: Tredici Enoteca opens today — more details here.
December 9, 2016
1) OXON HILL: MGM National Harbor Casino is officially open, and with it all its restaurants. Find exhaustive coverage here.
2) ADAMS MORGAN: Today is opening day for Federalist Pig, the new barbecue place from pitmaster Rob Sonderman (who used to run DCity Smokehouse). Find ribs, wings, brisket, pork belly, and several sandwiches; here's the full menu. Status: Opening today. 1654 Columbia Road NW.; website.
3) ROCKVILLE: A location of chain Modern Market has arrived in Rockville. This is the second in the area. Find plenty of egg dishes, toasted sandwiches, a variety of vegetarian options, and more. Status: Certified open. 1627 Rockville Pike (Congressional Plaza), Rockville, Md.; website.
4) IVY CITY: Ari Gejdenson and his Mindful Restaurant Group (Ghibellina, Harold Black) have opened a diner in Northeast D.C. French toast shares the stage with items like a half-smoke omelet, milkshakes, and more; here's the full menu. Status: Opening today. 2003 Fenwick St. NE; website.
December 8, 2016
1) FALLS CHURCH: Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot has opened to the public in Falls Church's Eden Center. The hot pot chain has only a portion of the restaurant open, as they're still staffing up. Status: Soft opening. 6799 Wilson Blvd., Falls Church, Va; website.
2) ADAMS MORGAN: Epic Philly Steaks is now serving, as expected, cheesesteaks in AdMo. They also have some sandwich variations, like Cubano and barbecue chicken. Status: Certified open.1792 Columbia Road NW; no website yet.
December 7, 2016
1) HERNDON: Weird Brothers Roastery now has a small cafe in Herndon. The space is largely carry-out, but with an advanced coffee program. Status: Certified open. 321 Sunset Park Drive, Herndon, Va.; website.
December 5, 2016
1) ROCKVILLE: It's opening day for Pie 360. This is one of D.C.'s several fast-casual pizza chains, from the creators of Coal Fire. Status: Opening today at 11 a.m. 1800-C Rockville Pike, Rockville, Md.; website.
December 2, 2016
1) TYSONS CORNER: It's opening day for the reincarnation of Asian restaurant TenPenh. Here's a tour of the large space; expect more menu details on the site later today.
2) LEESBURG: B-Doughnut from Baltimore has arrived in Leesburg. It's opening day after a soft opening (and they're already sold out). Status: Certified open. 7 Loudoun St. SW, Loudoun, Va.; website.
3) FALLS CHURCH: Little Viet Garden (formerly of Clarendon) has made a comeback in Eden Center. This is also the expansion of banh mi favorites Ban Ta Deli, which has been temporarily closed. Status: Soft opening. 6783 Wilson Blvd. Falls Church, Va; no website yet.
4) K STREET: For Rent, the speakeasy-style cocktail bar (used to be called The Speak) has reopened. The drinks are French-influenced. The space has been plagued by liquor license issues in the past, closing and reopening a couple of times. Status: Soft opening; grand opening next Thursday. 1413 K St. NW; no website yet.
December 1, 2016
1) BETHESDA: Community, the new diner from Medium Rare owner Mark Bucher, has opened in Bethesda. They're starting out with dinner service and eventually transitioning to breakfast and lunch. The dinner menu has items like lobster pop-tarts, Dover sole, and veal chops parmesan. Status: Open. 7770 Norfolk Ave. Bethesda, Md.; website.
2) CRYSTAL CITY: New on the Korean barbecue front: KBQ. This is fast-casual style, Korean-influenced food. Status: Open. 2450 Crystal Drive, Arlington, Va.; no website yet.
November 29, 2016
November 22, 2016
1) PENTAGON CITY: Salad chain Sweetgreen opens its latest location today, the eighth in Virginia. Opening day sales proceeds benefit the Matching Dollars charity. Status: Opening today. 575 12th Road South, Arlington, Va., website.
2) COLUMBIA HEIGHTS: Vietnamese Chelsea is the latest source for pho, spring rolls, Vermicelli rolls, and more. Status: Soft opening. 1413 Park Road, NW; no website yet.
Nov. 21, 2016
1) SILVER SPRING: There's a new Dave & Buster's location in Silver Spring's Ellsworth Place development. This is the third in the state, and it's 40,000 square feet in size. They'll have happy hour, and more than 160 games at the location. Status: Opening today. 8661 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, Md. (fifth floor); website.
Nov. 18, 2016
1) ALEXANDRIA: Brabo, located in Kimpton's Lorien Hotel & Spa, has reopened after closing briefly for renovations. They're still in soft-opening mode, though. Status: Soft-opening. 1600 King St. Alexandria, Va.; website.
2) GEORGETOWN: Another &pizza location is here. This is number nineteen for the fast-casual pizza company. Status: Opening today. 1335 Wisconsin Ave. NW; website.
Nov. 17, 2016
1) CRYSTAL CITY: Good Stuff Eatery is now open in Reagan National Airport. More info here.
Nov. 16, 2016
Nov. 15, 2016
1) DUPONT CIRCLE: Richmond-based Lemon Cuisine of India opened a D.C. offshoot yesterday, with made-from-scratch dishes like chicken tikka masala and palak paneer. Status: Certified open. 2120 P St. NW; website.
2) U STREET: Henry's Soul Cafe, severely damaged by a fire back in June 2014, reopens today with its popular sweet potato pies just in time for Thanksgiving. Status: Certified open. 1704 U Street, NW; website.
3) CHINATOWN: Verizon Center's pop-up test kitchen of Beefsteak, a collaboration with José Andrés and Aramark, is now feeding fans with veggie-packed bowls like the Frida Kale and Kimchi-wa. Status: Certified open. 601 F St NW; website.
Nov. 14, 2016
1) NOMA: Cotton & Reed opened its doors over the weekend. Here's Eater's tour of the space. The new rum distillery near Union Market also has a cocktail bar. Status: Certified open. 1330 5th St. NE; website.
2) GAITHERSBURG: The former Boulevard Tavern (and before that, a Brasserie Beck) in the Kentlands development is now Tommy Joe's. Status: Reopened under new ownership. 311 Kentlands Blvd. Gaithersburg, Md.; website.
Nov. 11, 2016
1) CHINATOWN: It's opening day for Jewish deli On Rye — find more details here.
2) KENSINGTON: Maryland gets a new restaurant today from the owners of The Daily Dish in Silver Spring. The Dish and Dram focuses on comfort foods with international touches, with menu items like scones, fish tacos, and boozy desserts. Status: Opening today (regular hours start Tuesday). 10301 Kensington Parkway, Kensington, Md.; website.
3) COLUMBIA HEIGHTS: Long in development, it's opening day for the Hilltop Bar & Restaurant. They have sardines, roasted caulflower, red wine, roasted brussels sprouts, burrata, and more at the multi-level space. Chef Angel Franco is running the kitchen. Status: Opening tonight. 2737 Sherman Ave. NW; website.
4) PARK VIEW: Midlands Beer Garden had its soft opening earlier in the week. Their menu is growing, with items like hot turkey and Italian cold cut sandwiches. This is from the Kangaroo Boxing Club team. Status: Soft opening. 3333 Georgia Ave. NW; website.
5) DUPONT CIRCLE: D.C. gets a dedicated rolled ice cream shop in IcyCode. Grand opening is Saturday, which means free tastings. Status: Opening this weekend. 2029 P St. NW; website.
6) PETWORTH: A new Latin American wine bar will open up tomorrow. Ruta Del Vino will serve dishes like smoked octopus, rockfish ceviche, tortas, carne asada, and more. Find the menu here. Status: Opening this weekend. 800 Upshur St. NW; website.
7) FALLS CHURCH: Townshend, a bar located within Falls Church coffee shop Cafe Kindred, has a grand opening scheduled for tonight. Burgers are a focus, plus beers, cocktails, and comfort food like mac and cheese. Status: Opening tonight. 450 S. Washington St., Falls Church, Va.; website.
Nov. 10, 2016
Nov. 9, 2016
1) SILVER SPRING: Kung Fu Tea has opened in Silver Spring's Ellsworth Place shopping mall. This bubble tea chain lets drinkers customize their treats by sweetness. The shop is close to 1,000 square feet in size on the second floor of the shopping center. Status: Certified open. 8661 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, Md.; website.
2) GAITHERSBURG: Potbelly has a new Maryland location. The sandwich chain plans to host local musicians there. Status: Certified open. 544 N. Frederick Avenue, Gaithersburg, Md.; website.
Nov. 4, 2016
1) PETWORTH: It's opening night for Himitsu, the restaurant opening in the former Crane & Turtle space. The Japanese restaurant comes from Carlie Steiner and Kevin Tien will have dishes like karage, nigiri, and tofu. Status: Opening tonight. 828 Upshur St. NW; website.
2) DOWNTOWN: The latest location of Fat Pete's Barbecue is now open. This is the third, as a location recently opened in College Park as well. Here's the menu, with the expected pulled pork, brisket, smoked turkey, sandwiches, and sides. Status: Certified open. 801 18th St. NW; website.
Nov. 2, 2016
1) BROOKLAND: Pho 12 is now open in Brookland, having debuted last week. They're serving up Vietnamese food, including pho soup, rice dishes, vermicelli bowls, spring rolls, and more. Status: Certified open. 3740 12th St NE; website.
Nov. 1, 2016
1) SHAW: It's here. Kwame Onwuachi's tasting menu-centric restaurant, The Shaw Bijou, opens today. Find more details here, take a tour of the space here, and catch up on the months and months of coverage here.
3) DOWNTOWN: The new Kanji-kana is serving up ramen, donburi, bento, and more to downtown office workers. Status: Certified open. 1018 Vermont Ave. NW; no website yet.
October 31, 2016
1) LOGAN CIRCLE: The Bird, the poultry-themed restaurant from chef Michael Bonk, opens today in D.C. The menu reflects everything from chicken to duck to ostrich. Its whimsical design features work from local artists; here's a tour of the space. Status: Opening today. 1337 11th St. NW; website.
October 28, 2016
1) ALEXANDRIA: New Japanese spot Nasime is now open in Old Town. Its $48 five-course tasting menu, which will rotate bi-monthly, will include raw, grilled, fried, and Japanese-style casserole dishes. Chef and owner Yuh Shimomura is the real deal, having trained in Ginza, Tokyo. Status: Open. 1209 King St., Alexandria; website.
October 24, 2016
1) ADAMS MORGAN: Los Cuates is now open in the former La Forchette space in Adams Morgan. This is the third location for the Mexican restaurant; here's the menu. Status: Open. 2429 18th Street, NW; website.
October 21, 2016
1) NOMA: Find a location of coffee company La Colombe within the new REI Flagship store. There's free coffee today until 11 a.m. at the location, the fourth for the Philadelphia-based chain. Status: Opening today. 201 M St. NE; website.
2) PLEASANT PLAINS: Tomorrow's the grand opening/soft opening for Zippin' Chicken (they also serve fish). Status: Opening this weekend. Georgia and Harvard Sts. NW; no website yet.
3) METRO CENTER: Proper 21 opens today at 1319 F St. NW. More info here.
4) CLARENDON: Sunday brings another location of juice company Jrink. This location has a drive-through. Status: Opening this weekend. 3250 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, Va; website.
October 20, 2016
1) U STREET — Service Bar opens today with affordably-priced cocktails, a six-seat "Snug" tasting room, and fried chicken. Here's a tour of the space. Status: Opening today. 926-928 U St. NW; website.
2) BARRACKS ROW — An &pizza opens today, making this the tenth for the company in D.C. Yes, there will be free ampersand tattoos on opening day for a few customers, as well as 118 free pies given away. Status: Opening today. 405 8th Street SE; website.
October 19, 2016
1) FOGGY BOTTOM: The Backroom at Kingbird has opened at the new Watergate Hotel. This restaurant-within-a-restaurant at the hotel's Kingbird features three- and four-course tasting menus ($75-$95) from Executive Chef Michael Santoro. Expect Modern French influences with items like John Dory, roasted pheasant and bouillabaisse as courses. There is seating for 60 people, along with custom furniture and tableside preparations. Status: Certified open. 2650 Virginia Ave. NW; website.
2) COLUMBIA HEIGHTS: Letena is open serving fast-casual Ethiopian; details here.
3) FALLS CHURCH: Rare Bird Coffee Roasters is now open in downtown Falls Church. Find lattes, pastries, beans for sale and more. Status: Certified open. 230 W. Broad St., Falls Church, Va.; website.
4) NOMA: Little Baby Ice Cream is now going to be located at Union Market indefinitely, according to a rep. The ice cream shop out of Philadelphia started off as a pop-up for the summer.
October 17, 2016
2) ARLINGTON: Blumen Cafe has opened in Arlington. It's a new cafe and coffee shop where CD Cellar used to be. There's a European bent, with Illy coffee and dishes like baklava. Status: Certified open. 2607 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, Va.; website.
3) ROCKVILLE: Maryland has a new Karaoke Bar. East Grill Karaoke is in the Courthouse Shopping Center. Status: Certified open. 12 N. Washington St. Rockville, Md.; no website yet.
4) ADAMS MORGAN: Different Pizza has the obvious — pizza — but also serves calzones, wings, sandwiches and more. Find it where O'Tasty Chinese restaurant used to be. Status: Certified open. 1764 Columbia Road NW; no website yet.
October 11, 2016
1) PENTAGON CITY: Commonwealth Joe's is now open in Arlington. The coffee shop had soft opening limited hours last week. Here's Eater's tour of the space and in-depth look at the project, the first for the chain in the area. Status: Certified open. 520 12th St. S, Suite 150, Arlington, Va.; website.
October 10, 2016
1) ADAMS MORGAN: Johnny's Half-Shell is open in its new location. More info here.
October 6, 2016
1) CONGRESS HEIGHTS: There's a new Rita's in town. The water ice chain just opened its latest location, and they're giving away free Italian ices today to mark the opening. Status: Grand opening today. 3109 Martin Luther King Ave. SE; website.
2) DOWNTOWN: Ocean Prime has opened its doors — more details here.
October 5, 2016
1) CLARENDON: Ambar's second D.C. location opens tonight. More details on the Eastern European restaurant opening here.
2) FAIRFAX: Now Fairfax has a location of bar chain World of Beer. The new location is more than 4,500 square feet in size, with a giant patio and tons of beer. They're featuring 500 bottles, 50 rotating taps, a cask engine and an infusion tower. Status: Certified open. 11861 Palace Way, Fairfax, Va.; website.
3) ARLINGTON: There's free pizza for a year for the first 10 guests who show up at the new 1000 Degrees Pizza (those who hit up opening day and post on social media can get a free pie). This is a fast-casual, customizable Neapolitan-style pizza chain with locations in Virginia and beyond, though this is the first in greater D.C. (a Lanham one is on the way). Status: Opening today at 11 a.m. 3400 Columbia Pike, Suite 200, Arlington, Va.; website.
October 4, 2016
1) SHAW: D.C.'s new sausage playground is here today. HalfSmoke, from Andre McCain (chef Bob Kinkead is consulting), is serving up fast-casual sausages, funnel cakes, tater tots, and other fun foods in a festive atmosphere with multiple fireplaces, foosball, and more. Take a tour of the space here. Status: Opening today. 651 Florida Ave. NW; website.
2) ROCKVILLE: Fans of green chile, giant burritos, nacho cars, and kitchy decor, take note: another Chuy's has arrived. This location of the Austin Tex-Mex chain is in Rockville and is the first for the chain in Maryland. Status: Opening today. 1776 E Jefferson Street #117, Rockville, Md.; website.
October 3, 2016
1) LOGAN CIRCLE: Black Jack's back room has officially switched over to the pinball-themed Tilt Side Bar. Find cocktails and dishes in themes of seven; no pinball machines, though. Status: Certified open. 1612 14th St. NW; website.
2) ROCKVILLE: CLASS 520, a Thai ice cream shop, has opened its doors. These are the trendy rolled ice cream cones that have proven popular in other cities. Status: Certified open. 5 Dawson Ave. Rockville, Md.; website.
September 30, 2016
1) PENN QUARTER: Dirty Habit officially replaces Poste tomorrow at the Hotel Monaco. More details available here.
2) GAINESVILLE: A Cava Grill for everyone. The next neighborhood to get a location of the fast-casual Mediterranean chain is Gainesville, which has free lunches today to mark the opening (donations go to charity). This location in the Virginia Gateway development has seating for 64. Status: Opening today. 13959 Promenade Commons St., Gainesville, Va.; website.
3) U STREET: Philadelphia coffee company La Colombe just keeps expanding in the D.C. area. The latest location, opening tomorrow, is in the U Street neighborhood. Find their draft lattes, pastries, coffees, and more there. It's a 1200 square foot space in the Manhattan Laundry building. Status: Opening Saturday. 1328-1348 Florida Ave NW; website.
4) LOGAN CIRCLE: Ice Cream Jubilee's second location opens tomorrow. They'll give out free ice cream to the first 100 customers when they open at noon. The ice cream shop, which opened its first location in Navy Yard, will have 19 flavors available at the new shop (examples range from pumpkin honeycomb to gin and tonic sorbet). Status: Opening Saturday. 1407 T St. NW; website.
September 29, 2016
1) CHINATOWN: Fast-casual pizza chain &pizza opens today steps from the Verizon Center. The huge two-level locale, its sixteenth, is the first with liquor options ($7.27 cocktails include sweet tea whiskey and lime passionfruit tequila). Find the same customizable pies at this location. Tuesday's pre-opening was quite the pizza party, with free tattoos of its "&" logo and personalized flasks by the mural artist CHELOVE. Status: Certified open. 705 H St. NW; website.
September 28, 2016
1) PARK VIEW: Union Drinkery offers beer, wine, and cocktails —and food from its adjoining Small Fry restaurant (think smoked brisket, chicken wings, and an all-day breakfast sandwich), with jars of veggies and garlic lining the space. Status: Certified open. 3216 Georgia Ave. NW; website.
September 26, 2016
1) ALEXANDRIA: Burger chain BurgerFi opened in Alexandria over the weekend, according to a press release from its brokerage firm Neighborhood Retail Group. The chain has traditional burgers, veggie burgers, hot dogs, onion rings, frozen custard, and more. There are several locations throughout the area. Status: Certified open. 111 N. Pitt Street, Alexandria, Va.; website.
2) PLEASANT PLAINS: There's a new Indian restaurant, Biryani Exchange, in the former Mama Chuy location. Their signage advertises biryani, kabobs, butter chicken, curries, and gyros. Status: Open. 2620 Georgia Ave. NW; no website yet.
September 23, 2016
1) NATIONAL MALL: The Smithsonian Museum of African-American History and Culture opens this weekend, and with it comes Sweet Home Cafe, its restaurant. The dining experience aims to feature dishes from several regions, and serves up dishes like gumbo, pan-roasted trout, fried chicken, Brunswick stew, and much more. Additional details are here. Status: Opening this weekend (tickets required for opening festivities). 200 15th St. NW; website.
September 22, 2016
2) ATLAS DISTRICT: Ten 01, which opened about a year ago on H Street has become Ben's Upstairs. That means a new menu with dishes like po' boys and fried green tomatoes. The restaurant looks to combine Caribbean and Southern food, with cocktails and happy hour as well. Status: Reopened. 1001 H St. NE; website.
3) ATLAS DISTRICT: Also over on H Street, it was soft opening night yesterday for Mythology Restaurant & Lore Lounge. PoPville notes dishes like mojo pork and diver scallops on the menu from chef Joseph Harran. Status: Soft opening. 816 H St. NE; website.
4) FARRAGUT SQUARE: Local coffee company Compass Coffee just keeps expanding. Its latest location is in Farragut. Status: Certified open. 1776 Eye St. NW; website.