Thip Khao, an Eater D.C. essential restaurant that serves up spicy Laotian specialities in Columbia Heights, is one of several replacement businesses that will assume control of kitchens vacated by the former Isabella Eatery food hall. A rebranded food hall at Tysons Galleria is expected to open near the end of the month.
A New York-based management company called Urbanspace announced today it has recruited a lineup of companies to make up a turnkey group dubbed A Taste of Urbanspace. The Washington Post first reported the development at the luxury mall in McLean, Virginia. The list includes Stomping Ground, which Northern Virginia Magazine reported would be the first to move in to a former Isabella property. Isabella Eatery closed in August amid struggles for Mike Isabella Concepts following a high-profile sexual harassment suit from Chloe Caras, a former manager at the food hall.
The newcomers announced by Urbanspace are:
- Stomping Ground in place of Non-Fiction Coffee
- Thip Khao in place of Arroz
- Ice Cream Jubilee in place of Retro Creamery
- Donburi, which serves Japanese rice bowls, in place of Yona
- Andy’s Pizza, a storefront for D.C. pie company Eat Pizza, in place of Graffiato
The Post reports that Urbanspace will ultimately unveil eight replacements, leaving three yet to be announced. The Urbanspace news release promises more announcements in the coming days.
According to Urbanspace’s release, the new food hall will be up and running by Sunday, November 28. The Post reports that the new businesses will start making food without altering kitchen infrastructure, but permits to serve alcohol are still pending.
Stomping Ground owner Nicole Jones told Northern Virginia Magazine last week that she felt it was an intentional move to replace an Isabella business with one run by a woman. Seng Luangrath, the founder and chef behind Thip Khao, adds another strong woman to the mix.
Luangrath’s team, which operates Padaek in Falls Church, also has plans to open Hanumanh in Shaw this year. Luangrath hinted she had added another project, presumably the one at Urbanspace, yesterday on her Instagram account.
- Thip Khao, Donburi and other D.C. food businesses to take over Isabella Eatery space in Tysons [WaPo]
- Stomping Ground will open in the former Isabella Eatery space by the end of the year [NVM]
- Mike Isabella closes his high-profile food hall in Tysons Galleria [WaPo]
- Thip Khao’s Owners Reveal Name of New Under-Wraps Restaurant [EDC]