For one week only, the Poutinerie by Air Canada pop-up that opens today in Dupont Circle will potentially leave customers with both heartburn and warm hearts. While classic Montreal-style poutines featuring hand-cut fries covered with cheese curds and doused in gravy may cause gastrointestinal distress for some (worth it), customers can take solace in the fact that the proceeds from every $5 poutine sold will be donated to food and education programs at Martha’s Table.
The Poutinerie is located at 1351 Connecticut Avenue NW and will operate from noon to 10 p.m. on Friday, November 9, through Thursday, November 15. Other Poutinerie by Air Canada pop-ups have taken residence in Denver this past spring and in London just last month.
A spokesperson for Air Canada tells Eater that the company chose Washington for its latest poutine hub because Air Canada offers connections through Toronto and Montreal from Reagan National Airport, Dulles International Airport, and Baltimore Washington International Airport to more than 200 destinations in Canada and around the world.
Those far-flung locales have influenced the lineup of 10 poutines offered in the District:
- Montreal’s Classic (GF) | Hand-cut fries, traditional cheese curds, gravy
- Toronto’s The Six (GF) | Sweet potato fries, pork belly, cheese curds, whole grain maple mustard, fresh herb confetti
- São Paulo’s Sweet Chimi-Churrasco (GF) | Sweet potato fries, grilled carne asada, green chimichurri, queso blanco
- Rome’s Eternal City Eggplant (Vegetarian, GF) | Garlic fries, Napoletana sauce, mozzarella cheese, eggplant ragu, basil chiffonade
- Paris’ Brasserie-Born Braised Beef (GF) | Hand-cut fries, braised beef, mushrooms, horseradish cream
- London’s Corner Pub Fish and Chips | Malt vinegar dusted chips, crispy fried cod, dill and caper tartar gravy
- Seoul’s Twice the Spice Kimchi (Vegan) | Hand-cut fries, kimchi, kohlrabi Asian pear relish, sriracha gravy, cilantro
- Mumbai’s Baked and Buttered (GF) | Hand-cut fries, tender butter chicken, grated paneer cheese, diced tomatoes, fresh herbs
- Shanghai’s Neon Street BBQ | Shoestring fries, Asian BBQ pulled pork, hoisin gravy, sesame seeds, scallions, vegetable slaw
- Dubai’s Late Night Shawarma (GF) | Shoestring fries, chicken shawarma, cucumber and tomato salad, tzatziki-garlic gravy
If tzatziki-garlic gravy is wrong, who wants to be right?