The opening date for highly anticipated Wharf restaurant Kaliwa was been pushed back to Wednesday, March 28. But those dying to know what to expect once seated in the waterfront dining room can begin devouring the menu right now.
Eat Good Food Group co-founder Meshelle Armstrong tells Eater that the debut D.C. restaurant her team has spent months making their own at 751 Wharf Street SW is now scheduled to accept its first walk-in diners starting at 5 p.m. on March 28. Based on the trickle of photos that have popped up on Kaliwa’s Instagram feed, it appears that co-founder Cathal Armstrong and chef de cuisine Paolo Dungca have spent the past several days getting intimately familiar with the custom wood-burning oven they had built for Kaliwa, as well as sending out lots of spicy, pickled vegetable-laced offerings to friends and family invited to partake in the final round of preview dinners.
Once the general public gets in the front doors they will be greeted by a menu divided into the three featured cuisines: Filipino, Thai, and Korean. The Filipino offerings ($13 to $24) range from adobo chicken and citrus-soaked hamachi to braised lamb shoulder and fried pork belly. The Korean dishes ($10 to $20) include assorted banchan, vegetarian bibimbap, spicy seafood stews, and fried chicken sandwiches. The Thai side ($8 to $22) features curried blue crab, whole fried fish, grilled rib-eye, and stir-fried green beans, among others.
Scroll down to view the entire menu:
Meshelle Armstrong says the evolving menu will likely expand “in a couple of weeks.”
- Look Inside Southwest’s Transportive New Asian Restaurant, Kaliwa [EDC]
- A Guide to Filipino Cuisine in D.C. [EDC]
- The Most Anticipated Restaurants in D.C., Spring 2018 [EDC]
- 3 Prominent Chefs Are Contributing to New Wharf Distillery’s Menu [EDC]
- 5 Wharf Properties Now Projected to Miss Opening Weekend [EDC]
- The Wharf: A Guide to All the Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs [EDC]
- Team Restaurant Eve Dreams of Connecting Alexandria’s Hummingbird to D.C. Wharf [EDC]
- Kaliwa Is the Name of Cathal Armstrong’s Asian Restaurant [EDC]