Lupo Verde corporate chef Matteo Venini has developed new pasta dishes and other seasonal offerings to lure area diners — even those who’ve had his cooking before — to the new osteria opening Wednesday, April 18.
The new three-story eatery in Palisades (4814 MacArthur Boulevard NW) remains faithful to certain standbys served at the flagship Lupo Verde on 14th Street NW but also features alternate takes on Italian cuisine. Carryovers from the original Lupo include fried artichokes, seared octopus with olives, branzino, and its cheesy-peppery noodles.
Some modified dishes and new additions on Lupo Verde Osteria’s opening menu include:
- Fried octopus with compressed watermelon, fennel salad, pickled ramps, and fingerling potato chips;
- Duck leg confit with foie gras, charred orange, and duck jus;
- Stinging nettle gnocchi with morel mushrooms, sun-dried tomato, peas, ramps, and lemon zest;
- Linguine with clams and preserved Meyer lemon;
- Lobster ravioli with leek fondue, cherry tomatoes, and mint; and,
- Ravioli filled with garlic cream sauce and mixed with Calabrian chile sauce and seasoned bread crumbs.
“The inside is going to be an explosion of garlic,” Venini says of his latest creation.
Venini is also excited about showcasing hearty meat dishes — ”I’m the son of a butcher,” he says — working in duck breast with morel mushroom ragu, foie gras mousse, and fava beans, as well as lamb chops with roasted garlic, grilled asparagus, and charred tomato puree.
Once the downstairs market, dubbed the Alimentaria, comes online in May, Venini plans to offer food and drinks for local diners on the go. Featured beverages include espresso, macchiato (hot or cold), cappuccino, and marocchino (espresso with cocoa powder and milk foam). Daytime diners can expect to find around a half dozen pastries, mostly sweet, to start. Roman-style focaccia with assorted toppings and panini sandwiches will be available during lunch. Venini says he’ll fill the coolers with ready-made salads and cold cuts. He’s also working on carry-out lunch orders he could offer to parents whose kids attend neighboring schools.
Status: Scheduled to open at 5 p.m. on April 18. 4814 MacArthur Boulevard NW; website.
Scroll down to view the opening dinner menu, wine list and specialty cocktails: