Celebrity chef Spike Mendelsohn and his partners at Beyond Meat-based PLNT Burger have opened their first Virginia location, and sixth food stall overall, inside the Whole Foods at the Boro development in Tysons Corner (1635 Boro Place). The fast-growing vegan chain sells oat milk shakes, plant protein burgers with potato starch cheese, and fried mushroom sandwiches. It debuted inside Silver Spring Whole Foods last fall and now has operations running in Whole Foods from D.C. (Shaw, South Capitol Hill) to Wynnewood, Pennsylvania. Customers can order pickup or delivery online or through a new app.
The Top Chef alum’s family also runs Good Stuff Eatery, a Capitol Hill staple that has expanded in D.C. and opened in Chicago and Cairo. The Boro, which welcomed a lauded ramen chain out of Japan last month, grows in November with the addition of robo-flipping chain CaliBurger.
In other news...
- Brightwood smokehouse and food truck BBQ Bus will close its retail operation indefinitely after Labor Day. For the holiday weekend special, a $40 “Brisket + Brews Bundle” deal comes with sandwiches, sides, and a six-pack from Port City. It’s available Friday, September 4, to Monday, September 7, with pickups at Free State, Lost & Found, and its smokehouse. BBQ Bus’s online catering store will remain open through December in limited capacity.
- Locally treasured Bob & Edith’s Diner opened its fifth corporate location yesterday at 5050 Lee Highway in Arlington.
- Shaw’s towering frosé bar Takoda joins the growing list of newly reopened rooftops across D.C.
- Navy Yard’s all-day Asian-Italian eatery ABC Pony puts a March Madness spin on doughnuts. For the next nine weeks, fans can vote on Instagram to advance their favorite flavors to the finals.
- Homegrown health food chain Greenheart Juice Shop plans to unveil its fourth Virginia location in Vienna (208 Dominion Road) in two weeks.
- Jaleo DC and Jaleo Crystal City kick offs Tomatina festivities this month as an ode to Buñol, Spain’s annual tomato fight. Expect lomo de buey con tomates (grilled hanger steak with tomatoes) and cocktails that play with tomato water. Tomato time is Monday, September 7, to Sunday, September 20.