Revitalization is still in the works for the aging mall above Rosslyn metro, despite the pandemic: the Washington Business Journal reports that the anticipated food hall is moving forward with a new operator. Instead of Austin’s Oz Rey, DMK Restaurants will work with landlord American Real Estate Partners on the project.
The multi-level eatery will include grab-and-go items in a bodega downstairs, with seven food stalls — from a coffee shop to a diner and an oyster bar — upstairs. Outdoor seating and touchless payments are planned. DMK Restaurants’ co-founder is David Morton, of the Morton’s The Steakhouse family.
In other news...
- Today marks the beginning of Women’s Food Fest, a week highlighting more than 50 women-owned food businesses in the DMV with specials and deals to draw out diners and support female entrepreneurs.
“We aren’t your regular restaurant week but instead are inviting full service and fast casual restaurants, cooking schools, bars and lounges, ice cream and gelato stores, delis and bakeshops to participate and offer specials to customers during the week,” co-organizer Micheline Mendelsohn of Good Stuff Eatery explains in a press release.
For example, Call Your Mother’s owner/chef Daniela Moreira is rolling out a special peachy bagel, Dolcezza’s Violeta Edelman is scooping up a large gelato for the price of a small gelato, and Camila Arango at Pluma by Bluebird Bakery is offering a ricotta toast with strawberry rhubarb and a large coffee for $10. See participating business and deals on the festival’s website. Women’s Food Fest runs from September 23 to September 30 and will also raise funds to distribute meals to charitable organizations.
- Gyro and falafel chain The Halal Guys just added another location in the DMV with a Manassas opening. Find an outpost at 11760 Sudley Manor Drive in Bull Run Plaza, complete with outdoor seating.
- Order a chicken sandwich at any Nando’s location in the area this week and get signed up to vote too: from now through Friday, September 25, Nando’s restaurants will be equipped with localized voter-registration stations. Expect to find voter-resource flyers both in stores and in takeout bags.
- Z-Burger will soon be a source for halal food. The burger, milkshake, and hot dog chain’s new location is expected to open in October at 641 Indiana Avenue NW in Penn Quarter and will be the first outpost to offer a halal menu. Breakfast will also be unique to this Halal Z-Burger location too, with under $10 options like a customizable three-egg omelette.
- Bike to H Street’s Pie Shop on Thursday and get 20% off drinks on the patio in honor of the bar/concert venue/pie bakery’s shiny new bike rack.
So let’s celebrate this new edition to our shop. Calling all cyclists, stop by on Thursday for a drink on our 2nd Fl patio & use promo code BIKE for 20% off your bill. ♀️ Patio is open from 5pm-9pm. Use link to book or walk in https://t.co/la2mHSuX3t@barredindc @theHillisHome pic.twitter.com/PT7xyURZ5o— Pie Shop DC (@pieshopdc) September 22, 2020