DoorDash launched a chain of virtual convenience stores called DashMarts in 2020, and now the delivery app is making moves for its “ghost kitchen”-esque corner stores in the DMV. The Washington Business Journal reports that DoorDash is opening DashMart warehouse spaces in Alexandria and Capitol Hill soon. Customers can place orders for home delivery on items including snacks, already-made restaurant meals, and even local items like Glory Days Grill sauces. Boutique corner store delivery brand Foxtrot Market is also seizing on the Washington market, adding multiple locations in D.C.
In other news...
- Indian fast-casual favorite Rasa is planning on opening up a location in Crystal City this summer, per ARLnow.
- The Baltimore Sun interviews HalfSmoke owner Andre McCain, who just opened up shop in Baltimore.
- Local scoop shop Ice Cream Jubilee is now carried at all Whole Foods stores in D.C., Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, according to the company.
- Northern Indian restaurant Bollywood Bistro is getting a makeover after more than a decade in Fairfax. Designers Studio Ideya will help the restaurant expand next door, adding a private event space for up to 100 guests and a 60-seat terrace. Materials in the refresh include magenta sari-inspired fabrics and gold and white stone details meant to echo the Taj Mahal. Bollywood Bistro will reopen in May.
- Susan Gage Caterers just announced the appointment of Adam Howard, former executive chef of Michelin-starred D.C. restaurant Blue Duck Tavern. Howard will lead the team at the catering company as executive chef.
- Family-owned Bob & Edith’s is seeking to grow in the D.C. area via franchisees: see the pitch here. The old-school diner already has five locations in Northern Virginia.
- Glamorous cocktail bar Silver Lyan at the Riggs Washington DC downtown is closed to guests during the pandemic, but the bar from famed London mixologist Ryan Chetiyawardana just released a cherry blossom-themed cocktail box to-go. The $80 kit includes Japanese beers and matcha Kit Kats along with a “Japanese Saddle” cocktail with Japanese gin and cognac. Order here.