A security detail marched up 18th Street NW in Adams Morgan last night to lead Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff into respective gay and lesbian bars Pitchers and A League of Her Own. The bars were hosting a Pride-themed vaccination pop-up offering free Pfizer shots from Giant, and Emhoff stopped by to pose for pictures and generally lend his support. People wearing Giant masks were also ducking into other bars to ask patrons if they needed a jab. According to the latest data, 42.3 percent of D.C. residents are fully vaccinated. Emhoff, the wife guy of all wife guys, also checked out the CakeRoom to bring some sweets back to Vice President Kamala Harris.
It was really pretty awesome that the @SecondGentleman stopped by @MayorBowser’s @DCLGBTQ #PRIDE2021 vaccination pop-up event this evening at @PitchersDC! Thank you so much for joining us Mr. Emhoff and for taking the time to pose for photos with everyone. #DCHOPE #TakeTheShotDC pic.twitter.com/PmTzDCOrXx— Jim Slattery #DCStatehoodNOW ️ (@JimSlatteryDC) June 4, 2021
We had a VERY special visitor at The CakeRoom Bakery in #AdamsMorgan today! Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff picked up a delicious birthday cake for @VP Kamala Harris and took a tour of the bakery! pic.twitter.com/fLJUZKfhAf— Adams Morgan BID (@AdMoBID) June 4, 2021
In other news ...
- A longtime cook who was laid off from his job at the Mayflower hotel during the pandemic is now volunteering full-time at a Rockville food pantry and using Facebook Live to make sure Spanish speakers know what’s available there. [DCist]
- Washington Post critic Tom Sietsema recommends appetizers like hamachi crudo or burrata with pesto and African blue basil at the recently revamped Tosca downtown. [WP]
- Lucky Buns chef Alex McCoy is bringing a crab-picking pop-up back to Union Market later this month. [WCP]
- Leesburg’s Señor Ramon Taqueria is opening its fifth local location with a new store in Great Falls, Virginia. [The Burn]
- Sloppy Mama’s barbecue has closed its Ballston Quarter food hall stall, but its Arlington storefront is still going strong. [ARLnow]