Fast-expanding “Jew-ish” deli Call Your Mother opened its latest locale for beloved wood-fired bagels at the Pike & Rose complex in North Bethesda, Maryland, on Monday, September 20. Call Your Mother’s fifth store (11807 Grand Park Avenue) adds to the pink bagel trolley the company opened in Bethesda last June. During the pandemic, the hit D.C. deli added outposts in Capitol Hill and Georgetown, with the latter receiving a visit from President Joe Biden in January.
The new, 2,300-square-foot location is open for on-site ordering and pre-order pickup from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily. It carries popular orders like the “Royal Palm” (plain cream cheese, smoked salmon, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and capers on an everything bagel), a Latin-leaning pastrami sandwich on rye, babka muffins, and coffee. Co-owners Andrew Dana and 2017 Eater Young Gun Daniela Moreira debuted the hit bagel brand in Park View in fall 2018, earning a spot on Eater’s 16 best new restaurants in America the subsequent year.
In other news...
- Chevy Chase’s popular neighborhood pizzeria Little Beast quietly opened a second location over the weekend in Reston (12100 Sunset Hills Road) next to a new branch of sibling spot Red Velvet Cupcakery, owner Aaron Gordon tells Eater.
- It’s last call for chicken nuggets and Frostys at Wendy’s in Northeast on Tuesday, September 21, and teary tributes are pouring in for the iconic fast-food stop at “Dave Thomas Circle” that the city plans to raze and redesign to improve traffic flow.
- Homegrown cafe Busboys & Poets announced a Sunday, October 10, opening date for its new, glass-enclosed location in Columbia, Maryland.
- An “Afro-Caribbean infusion” restaurant, cocktail lounge, and hookah bar called Lydia is en route to the Atlas District (1427 H Street NE), notes Popville.
- DC Beer Week, the DC Brewers’ Guild’s largest annual fundraiser, runs through Sunday, September 26. The in-person schedule includes happy hours at Heurich House and Pizzeria Paradiso, a Right Proper block party, and a DC Brau x Other Half collab release to mark Boundary Stone’s 10-year anniversary.