The owners of Chevy Chase’s mod Italian-American favorite I’m Eddie Cano will plant a neighborhood pizzeria in Glover Park that centers around rectangular, Roman-style slices.
Massimo and Carolyn Papetti just signed a deal to take over the former home of Arcuri, the wood-fired pizza place and limoncello bar that closed in August after an eight-year run (2400 Wisconsin Avenue NW). The Papettis tell Eater they plan to open later this spring.
The new to-be-named restaurant sits nearly three miles south of I’m Eddie Cano, a stylish destination for rigatoni, meatballs, and eggplant Parmesan that livened up the sleepy upper Northwest strip upon opening in 2018. Their new Northwest project brings pizza to the table for the first time, but other menu details are slim for now.
Brick-lined Arcuri, outfitted with a Cello Room stage for music and comedy, was known for its thin, crispy wood-fired pies like the Fig Lebowski (buffalo mozzarella, fig, prosciutto, port reduction).
The incoming replacement will focus on a heftier type of pie that’s getting more traction around D.C. as of late.
Defined by rectangular slices with a sturdy base and airy crust, Roman-style pizza can be found in Del Ray, Virginia out of the pandemic-born Stracci pizza trailer from Vermillion alum Tom Cardarelli. And Brookland’s respected Neapolitan spot Menomale also makes the high-hydration pies at its new Noma location, decorated edge to edge in toppings like bolognese sauce or salami and artichokes.
Glover Park recently lost a pizza pad with the closure of Social Beast, restaurateur Aaron Gordon’s ghost kitchen that offered Detroit, wood-fired, and Roman-style pies, which also made a cameo at Penn Quarter’s Bakers & Baristas.
Meanwhile, I’m Eddie Cano is moving forward with plans to expand next door with the addition of a seat-free, European-style bar called Italian Bar. The pint-sized hangout, now expected to pop in March, models itself after Roman businesses where people congregate to chat over quick morning cappuccinos, light pastries, gelato, Italian snacks, and day-time digestifs and spiked espressos.
- Arcuri to Boast Fermented Dough, Slushies Starting Wed. [EDC]
- Chevy Chase Is Getting a Roman-Style Standing Bar for Coffee, Gelato, and Digestifs [EDC]
- Chevy Chase’s New Italian Restaurant Is a Nostalgic Blast From the Past [EDC]
- A Roman Pizza Shop Will Soon Replace Penn Quarter’s Bakers & Baristas [EDC]
- A 20-Foot Pizza Trailer Sells Airy Roman Pies With Homemade Cheese in a Del Ray Lot [EDC]
- The D.C.-Area Bars and Restaurants That Have Closed During the COVID-19 Crisis [EDC]
- Everything to Know About the New Delivery/Takeout-Only Food Hall in D.C. [EDC]